Saturday, October 30, 2010

"Devil Went Down to Georgia"....Uh, Make That LA!

Halloween always makes me think of the Charlie Daniels' song "Devil Went Down to Georgia."  Couple that thought with the pending appearance in Los Angeles of an overly priced NJ Devil who formerly played in that lovely state, and inspiration struck.


Here's my Kings-Devils version of the song.


The Devil went down to LA, he was looking for a game to steal.
He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
When he came across this young man shootin' pucks and hitting nets.
And the Devil jumped up on top of the bench and said: "Boy let me tell this:
"I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a hockey player too.
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you play a pretty good hockey, boy, but give the Devil his due:
"I bet a stick of gold against your soul, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
The boy said: "My name's Kopi and it might just be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."


Kopi, you tape up your stick and shoot those pucks real hard.
'Cos hells broke loose in Jersey and the Devil deals the cards.
And if you win you get this shiny stick-blade made of gold.
But if you lose, the Devil gets your soul.

The Devil opened up his bag and he said: "I'll start this trick."

And fire flew from his fingertips as he taped up his stick.
And he slapped his stick and launched the puck and it made an evil hiss.
Then a band of demons crashed the crease, but still the puck just missed.
When the Devil finished, Kopi said: "Well you're pretty good ol' son.
"But sit down on that bench, right there, and let me show you how its done."

Fire on the mountain, shoot boys, skate.

The Devil's in the house, but our Kings are great!
Quickie in the goal crease, pickin' off shots.
"Simmer, does your bruise hurt?"
"Absolutely NOT."

The Devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.

He laid that golden stick-blade on the ground at Kopi's feet.
Kopi said: "Devil just come on back if you ever want to try again.
"I told you once, you son of a gun, I'm the best that's ever been."

GO KINGS GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment