|Why boys? Why do you do this to us?|
We started the night 1 point behind the 7th place Stars in the Western Conference standings. You don't have to be a math major to figure out the play-off implications there.
Rumors flew prior to the trade deadline about the possibility of Stars Captain Brad Richards becoming a King, which of course didn't happen. Now he has a concussion and wasn't even in the Stars line-up, so maybe we dodged a bullet. I personally had designs on former Stars left winger James Neal, who ended up in a Penguins uniform.
The sad part is that even without those two big names in their line-up. the Stars shone brighter than the Kings in this contest. Even though the Kings scored first AND held a lead going into the third period, we came out flat in the last 20 minutes, gave up a short-handed goal and put the momentum squarely in the Stars favor. It took less then a minute for them to finish us in over time.
|Why can't we put this many pucks on net DURING a game?|
The Queen's quick hits:
- I had a blast during warm-ups dissecting all the Kings problems with Bobby Scribe. We don't always agree, but I love a good hockey debate and he's always prepared. He also mentioned he and Surly are looking for someone to be the "&" jersey in their line-up. If you're interested, drop him a line! And if you're not already checking out his blog on a regular basis, you're losing out. Don't make me smack you silly.
- Drew Doughty had a terrible giveaway early in the third. Did it cost us the game? Maybe. Maybe not. Bottom line - it's a mistake. He's human. Moving right along....
|You looking at me?|
- Matt Greene has become a penalty magnet the last few games. Our PK is still performing well, but let's not push it, Greener.
|At least you took another guy to the box with you this time...|
- Justin Williams' goal was a study in tenacity. He fought for TWO rebounds off his initial shot before he buried it, and he never gave up. Good things happen when you shoot AND follow up.
|"Get to the net. Get to the net. Get to the net..."|
- I will never get tired of Kyle Clifford's goal face. It's like watching a five year old kid score his first goal every time he gets one. So cute!
|Of course the "Thousand Yard Stare" is a great look too.|
- And last but not least, my seat buddy and I got to try out a new spot last night. We got a great view of the Kings bench AND 5 seconds of fame in the process.
So now the Kings get a break from Staples Center and hit the road for important four games - Detroit, Columbus, Dallas, and Nashville. Not to be overly dramatic, but this could be the turning point in our season, folks. Time to put up or shut up.
GO KINGS GO!