Even though we're not at the All-Star break yet, the match-up with the Colorado Avalanche had HUGE playoff implications. The Kings were in 7th and the Avs right behind in 8th as the puck dropped. The Sharks also lost in regulation to the Canucks, giving the Kings a shot at sole possession of first place in the hotly contested Pacific Division.
Did they do it? Of course not. This IS the Kings. This team couldn't grab an opportunity if it slapped them in the face and started a fight.
After a back and forth first, the Kings lit the lamp first at the beginning on the second period. Good start, right? Then then Avalanche put their foot on the gas, controlled the tempo completely, and never looked back. The Kings spent the rest of the evening chasing the game. NOT GOOD. Sadly they never caught up with it and lost another 2-1 contest thanks to anemic scoring, lackluster effort, mental lapses....you know, the usual stuff.
No one took the loss harder than Jonathan Quick, and rightfully so. It's his birthday, he gets no support from his team, and Dan Winnik comes along and clips him in the leg. I don't blame him for that slashing penalty. Not one bit.
|If I celebrated my birthday like you did, I'd have that look on my face too.|
The Queen's game commentary:
- To the chick that sang the National Anthem (yes, I've already blocked out your name), not everything should be embellished.
- As hard as I try, I still keep slipping and yelling "GO RICHIE!" at Mike Richards. Sorry Brad Richardson.
- To the idiots that ruined my video of Quick at the start of the 2nd period, I hope someone spit in your pizza. Ditto for the pain in the ass couple in my row that got up and down every 10 minutes during the game.
- I love Colin Fraser. Plays his role well, few mistakes and a scrappy attitude. He's a Dean Lombardi style player.
- When are they gonna put the Kiss Cam on two players? I'll bet Drew would kiss someones helmet.
- Kudos to the people in front of me for not letting a guy in their row get up until play stopped. Gotta teach the newbies proper hockey etiquette.
- I don't know what flavor of PennerCakes #25 ate for breakfast today, but this batch weighed him down.
- It kills me to say it, but Loktionov was having a tough time out there. He's still not quite where he needs to be with the physical aspect of the game. Not totally his fault since he's being used as a checking center when that's not his role, but that's a conversation for another day.
- Judging from the length of the in-game interviews he gets, none of the players like Patrick O'Neal.
- Little kids on the dance cam are so much better than two fisted puck bunnies.
- Someone explain how they can add guys to the ice cleaning crew, yet it takes LONGER to clear the ice than when it was only girls.
And finally, I'm adding a new feature to my game recap and sharing some of my favorite Tweets of the night. If you're not already on Twitter, THIS is why you need to join the party.
The Kings next chance to right the ship at home comes Monday against the red-hot Ottawa Senators. Let's hope we're up to the challenge.
GO KINGS GO!