- The Oilers were on a 5 game win streak
- The Kings had beaten the Oilers in their last 4 meetings
- The NHL's #1 GAA (Khabibulin) met #2 GAA(Quick)
- The Kings played in their 22nd consecutive sellout game
Watching it all unfold much the same way tonight brought back bad memories. It was like watching the same movie remade with a slightly different cast. The 3-0 loss the Kings suffered was no shock to anyone watching at Staples Center. The Kings were dead on arrival and it only got worse as the game went on.
|"Un-freakin' believeable, dude...."|
|"This didn't feel good last season either."|
|"What have I gotten myself into?"|
To a man, no one on the Kings roster played a game they could be proud of. No one worked hard enough. No one looked like they cared. The got what they deserved tonight -- which was nothing.
Other quick hits of interest:
- Colton Teubert made his NHL debut wearing #33. Westgarth wore that same number before Willie Mitchell joined the team. What a shame they didn't dress Westgarth -- THAT is a fight I would have enjoyed!
|Proof Teubert actually touched the puck....|
- No one should be surprised Ryan Smyth got booed. It's the LA way to crucify anyone who thumbs their nose at Hockeywood. But I must admit it was much less booing than I expected. Until he scored, that is.
- Speaking of Ryan Smyth, I remember telling him at Tip-A-King that I hated him before he came to LA. He was happy I changed my mind. Sadly, I had to change it back.
- In spite of their taste in jerseys, these guys were cool. They still love the Kings for knocking the Leafs out of the playoffs ages ago. That's our Canadian fan base folks -- people who hate the Leafs.
- These guys -- were NOT cool. The guy in the gray suit who was the LEAST cool normally sits behind me with his kids. Apparently he turns into a jerk on "guys night." It's gonna be a long season if he brings more buddies.
- It occurred to me tonight that the only problem with Penner screening the goalie is that none of the shooters on his own team can see a hole around him.
- Best Movember moustache? Willie Mitchell. Not even a contest. Although Dustin Penner is making a great case for the best porn-stache. Cliffy is trying hard to grow one. He's so cute!
|"This mo makes me look even more badass than I already am...."|
|"I could do porn if this gig doesn't work out, right?'|
|"Can you see it if I hold my lip like this?"|
- Best warm-up moment besides Willie Mitchell's 'stache? Justin Williams going ass over tea kettle. Even better? Gags explaining how it happened. And Ricky laughing at him.
- It was nice seeing Drew back on home ice. It's a shame his return didn't give the team any momentum.
- I absolutely LOVE that you can see Matt Greene's stitches peeking out from under his helmet. Chicks dig scars so we know what that means. Face time, bebeh!
- Can someone PLEASE make Davis Gaines go away? This is LA. There HAVE to be more entertaining National Anthem singers that need a gig.
- There were "Fire Murray" chants in my section tonight. I like Coach Murray. He's a nice man. But with this season's Kings looking eerily like the Kings of last season, he may not be the man to take this team to the next level.
GO KINGS GO!