Monday, August 22, 2011

Kings Court Featured Fan: Kenny Jones

When I was thinking about doing Kings fan profiles as part of this blog, I wasn't entirely sure how willing people would be to take the time to answer questions about themselves. But I figured, "Why not?" and put it out there, hoping I wouldn't have to endure the embarrassment of getting no responses. I never should have been worried, because some great Kings fans have already answered the bell!


I'm very excited the first response came from Kenny Jones. Kenny is proof that Kings fans are everywhere, because he follows the team from the UK! That's no easy task with a lot of time zones between his home and Los Angeles. Kenny is on Facebook so don't be afraid to look him up if you want to expand your Kings buddy list.

For now, here are Kenny's answers to The Queen's fan survey! Enjoy!

*************************************************************

1. How did you first get introduced to hockey?
I remember first playing one of the NHL games on the Sega Genesis as a kid. My dad always said I'd play them just for the fights. I guess that's what got me started on the sport I now love.

2. When did you become a Kings fan, and what do you remember about your first Kings fan experience?
If I remember right, I became a fan around autumn 2005 just after the season started. I remember seeing we started off well and was hoping we can carry it on, I knew nothing of the game properly at the time and my heart was telling me that the Kings were to be my team of choice.

3. Who is you favorite Kings player of all time, past or present, and why?
Can I answer this both ways? (LOL)  But in the past, it's Robitaille without a doubt, for a guy to start his career with us, despite winning a Cup in Detroit he still came back to finish his career with us Kings, I can still remember reading about his record breaking 551 goals against the Thrashers, it's gonna be a memory that'll stick with me forever.

But currently, it's Anze Kopitar and I believe he'll be making an impact in the next few years, it's a shame he doesn't get the recognition he deserves because we're in the West.

4. What is your favorite memory of the Kings?
This goes both ways for me to be honest, both before and after I became a Kings fan.

In the past, I have to say it's the 2001 Playoffs against the Red Wings. When I watched that clip on YouTube I felt shivers going down my spine because it was just awe-inspiring, there's nothing like it.

Though as a fan, it's a tough call. I mean I've got the playoffs on one hand and the comeback against the Stars a few years ago, but I'd stick with those two.

5. What is your favorite item of Kings gear and why?
It's one of my jerseys, without a doubt, I'm a bit torn with this one because I've got my 1998 home jersey (which I affectionately love) or my now alternate jersey that's personalised with Rider/31 on the back.

6. If you could watch a game from any location in Staples Center, where would you be and why?
It'd have to be in the 300's with the Die Hards, I don't think it'd be the same if I was sat anywhere else to be honest.

7. If you could be a King, what position would you play and why?
I'd probably play Left Wing to be honest, I couldn't see myself as a defenceman or a goalie (The other half would love to see me as a goalie though LOL), but it's something I'd be comfortable with playing wing.

8. If you had a chance to address the team right now, what would you say?
This is what I would say, quoting Sun Tzu's The Art of War too. "I know we've had a few upsets lately, we've had bad years and we've had first round exits. But that doesn't mean anything, a new season erases the old one and you will go out there to win, no matter what. There's an old saying that if you know your enemy and yourself, then you won't be afraid in all 82 games you will play this year, if you know yourself but not your enemy, then we're on equal grounds. But if you don't know yourself, and you don't know your enemies, then we're going to lose. Failure isn't an option, you know what to do."

9. If you could have dinner with a current Kings player, who would you choose and what would you say to them?
I'd probably choose to have dinner with Doughty to be honest, there's about a 7 month age difference between us so I think the same-age thing would work out as we can relate to it. Though I'd ask him what it's like being in the NHL and what it takes to get in there, I'd want to get to know him as a person more than a player since that would make more an impression.

10. What is the best thing about being a Kings fan?
The best part? Definitely the people I've gotten to know on Facebook, I love all those guys like an extended family because that's how I see them. I may be over 6000 miles away but they know me, and I know them. And for anyone that knows me that's reading this, I love you guys.

*************************************************************

Don't forget Kings fans, if you'd like to submit your answers and become a Kings Court Featured Fan, click this link for directions!

GO KINGS GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment