I wasn't able to join the Kings "official" watch party at Hooters due to my work schedule. As much as I would have preferred to watch the game with my fellow Kings fans -- not to mention Bailey and Jay Flats! -- I've never liked the job Hooters has done with previous parties and I wish the Kings could find another sponsor. But that's a whole blog topic for another day.
Instead, Nick and Daryl kept me entertained on the commute home. Things went so well for the Kings while I was in the car, maybe I should have just stayed there.
A 2-1 shoot-out loss isn't the way we need to be rolling to start the season. With the loss, the Kings record sits at 1-1-1. That's just too many ones. Two is the only number that matters. At least I didn't shell out a bunch of "ones" for overpriced food and beer...
Some other quick thoughts on the Kings US debut:
- Congrats to Simon Gagne on his first goal as a King! Although I refuse to refer to him by any of his actual nicknames because Gags and Gaggy sound like conditions that need rehab. I prefer to call him "Your Hotness.
- How much does Kopitar LOVE playing with wingers that have legit skills? I'm guessing A LOT.
- I don't wish injuries on any player -- but somehow they're amusing when they happen to a goalie nicknamed "Fatty."
- Hey Devils, a 39 year old starting goalie and 38 year old back up is NOT a formula for success. Offer us Zach Parise and we might be able to help you.
- I know some of you hate the white jerseys, but damn do they look awesome coordinated with Quickie's new lid!
- It looks like Doughty got tired of the Westgarth comparisons and found some scissors.
- Kovalchuk played every other shift and still couldn't score in regulation. I hope the Devils play him into the ground. I'm happier every time I see him play that Deano kept a tight hold on the checkbook with that one. Although we won't talk about the shoot-out goal...
- Dustin Penner did nothing in his regular season debut -- except give the Devils a power play for the start of overtime by taking a stupid charging penalty. Not exactly the turnaround we're looking for there, Pens.
- Someone please tell me this team will learn to win in regulation sometime before February.
GO KINGS GO!